Episode 148 -Doing criminal law differently with Lauren Cassimatis
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing criminal lawyer, Lauren Cassimatis on her career, life and love of all things shopping! Lauren had made her way to Brisvegas where she was holding an event for her network ‘Criminal Law Mums’ and so I took the chance to sit down with her and to understand how she found her way to running her own boutique criminal law firm ‘Gallant Law’.
Lauren knew from a pretty young age that law was her thing but like so many of us, she has had moments along the way where she has questioned whether being a lawyer is ‘still’ her thing. Those moments have allowed her to both explore a few new interests (aka fashion design) but also to remind herself just why she does what she does. Lauren has ended up working in one of the most challenging parts of the law- criminal law- but in this interview she shares just why she loves this area of law and how she has built a successful career in her niche. Having just opened her own firm a few weeks ago, I caught Lauren right at that moment when everything is coming together that made for a great conversation as well.
Lauren is also the creator of ‘Criminal Law Mums’ a community initially for women just like her working in the criminal law area. But fast forward a year or 2 and her group has fast expanded to include all sorts of lawyers and is now a hub of referrals, events and creativity. Lauren is a wife and mum and shared her tricks for managing all that this entails. She is a ‘happy lawyer’ and it was great to hear her insights on how she manages to keep all the plates spinning particularly on those hard days.
- If Lauren was not a lawyer she would have been a designer (and even attended the Melbourne school of fashion 10 years ago).
- The connection between creativity and the law.
- Lauren’s relationship with her legal career and the challenges she has faced as a mother and a woman in law.
- Lauren grew up in Melbourne (with a short dalliance in New York).
- The value of family, relationships and Lauren’s great experience of growing up with a single Dad.
- Lauren’s journey to law and why she fell in love with criminal law.
- Purposefully revisiting one’s passion and career every few years.
- Lauren started out in Criminal and Family Law and also spent many of her career years at Legal Aid Victoria growing her knowledge in this area.
- Lauren also has a passion for changing the perception of criminal lawyers and how she is going about this.
- The importance of communication as a Criminal Lawyer.
- Treating everyone with kindness, compassion and care no matter their background.
- Lauren tells us about “Criminal Law Mums” and how this project came about.
- Community and connection is one of the biggest drivers of good mental health and happiness.
- Lauren hosted an event focusing on the pros and cons of self-doubt and explains why she chose this topic.
- Perfection, unrealistic expectations and lawyers.
- Lauren’s life and passion outside of the law.
- Considering time, and the flow between family and business.
- Perspective and seeing the world through others eyes.
- Lauren’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Lauren Cassimatis