Episode 233 – Chasing Your Passions Like You Chase Your Dog & Kids with Elspeth Finney
In this episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Elspeth Finney, director of Shoalhaven Family Law on the south coast of NSW.
Elspeth is someone I’ve known for a few years, and while this interview was recorded all the way back in the Covid-scape of 2021, I am so pleased to have been able to get this episode out there to you all. Elspeth is such an incredible woman, and is absolutely someone to watch in the legal space moving forward!
In this interview, it was such a pleasure to learn more about her. We discussed Elspeth’s earlier life, her love of remote coastal NSW and competitive fishing, and how she has crafted her life, practice and team around the things she values most. While many of us with our own practices take the leap later in our careers, Elspeth knew what she wanted from very early on in law, and made it work (and succeed!) with incredible determination.
But while she has built one great law firm down on the South Coast of NSW, it is her life out of the law that has always made me smile. Elspeth has a love of family, dogs and fishing (yes out in the ocean ‘Big’ fish type fishing!). I think we can all learn from Elspeth’s self-awareness, drive, and in crafting her work and life around the people and things she loves.
In this interview, Elspeth and I also chatted about-
- If Elspeth was not a lawyer she would have been a marriage celebrant, or perhaps a fisherwoman.
- Elspeth grew up in Nowra and, against the odds started her degree in rural Australia.
- She had a passion and focus was Family Law and helping families.
- Following a difficult working environment, Elspeth started her own firm to support her loyal clients.
- Determination and advocacy was a strength for Elspeth and early on she realised she enjoyed strategic work.
- Elspeth’s passion for game fishing has now morphed into a nice family event.
- Elspeth’s decision-making around her career has been based around her life – not the other way around.
- 3 years post-submission Elspeth started her own firm – ‘Shoalhaven Family Law’
- The highlights, and challenges of starting her own business.
- Contingency plans for business – can someone else do the work for the benefit of clients and the rest of the team?
- Elspeth became a mother at the beginning of the pandemic and the changes she implemented in her firm.
- The advantages she has seen by establishing practices for her team to support their work-life balance.
- Her advice for those looking to step out on their own.
- Sparking joy in all aspects of life and becoming clear on the meaning.
- The future of law-land from a young lawyer.
- Elspeth’s approach to team culture and her advice to others.
- Making decisions and pushing boundaries.
- Elspeth’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Elspeth Finney.