Episode 234 – Taking The Time For You First with Kate Sherburn
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Kate Sherburn. Kate is an inhouse lawyer at a company I am a raving fan for- ‘Who Gives a Crap’- a company who despite a pandemic have a product that sure has been in high demand!!
Kate and I have chatted a few times over the pandemic years and it was great to catch up with her in the last few weeks as we close out this show. Like anyone who lived in Victoria, the last few years have taken a toll but Kate’s positive mindset explains so much about why she and her team have been able to navigate their way through.
Kate is such a great example of someone who has pursued a career in law, found what she loves in an unexpected place, and is absolutely thriving in her career and life.
In this episode, we discuss Kate’s experiences in different companies, the incredible teams she works with and has worked with in the past, and what experience and life is like when you’re working as an in-house lawyer in businesses, particular at ‘Who Gives a Crap!’ (As an aside, I would love to work in a company that manages to appropriately get the word ‘crap’ into the title!)
Kate is such an interesting, personable and articulate human, and I am excited to share her story with you!
In this interview, Kate and I also chatted about-
- If Kate was not a lawyer she would have been a psychologist.
- The skills which she used in psychology have been applicable to the law.
- Kate grew up in Victoria and enjoyed legal studies in high school.
- She completed a 13-month paralegal course for Cadbury Schweppes and fell in love with the business/team environment.
- Knowing she wanted to work in-house as a lawyer, Kate set off to gain the experience she needed for the role and started Corporate Advisory.
- The shift in conversation, and opportunity for those seeking in-house roles in the law.
- After having her children, Kate became the first lawyer in-house at TAFE, a role which was minutes from her home.
- The opportunity to work in-house at ‘Who gives a Crap’ came up and Kate jumped at it.
- The impact of the pandemic as Kate already was able to work from home.
- The work culture of Who Gives a Crap and the valuable work they are doing in the commuity.
- The importance of purpose in your work – no matter the subject matter.
- One of Kates’s relational and collaborative working strategies involves assuming good intent from those you work with.
- The concept of a ‘no week’ and a ‘slow week’.
- Thinking differently about your time and productivity.
- By working in-house you are able to see a project from start to finish.
- Overall happiness and recognising that everything needs to have a boundary.
- Surviving the Melbourne lockdown and the toilet paper wrapper dress Kate designed.
- The valuable life lessons Kate has learnt in the recent past.
- The future for Kate as an in-house lawyer.
- Kate’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Kate Sherburn