Episode 86 – Barrister Marc McKechnie on building a career in the law that is right for you
This week I had the pleasure of interviewing Barrister Marc McKechnie for the show. This was a wonderful interview touching on all sorts of topics including the obvious ones of life at the Bar and Marc’s career to date however my favourite theme from this conversation was how Marc and his wife have structured their work to enable them time with each other and their daughter each week.
Marc is a talented advocate, and it would seem an equally talented comedian. He may not have been delivering stand up during this interview, but a simple Google search will show you the many awards Marc has received, including the coveted National Golden Gavel Award. While Marc’s humour and intellect are clear, it was his insights on the advantages for the modern day professional and how he has built a career that now enables him to have, to a degree, the best of both worlds that had me intrigued.
Marc has built a successful career at the Bar after many years in commercial litigation at some of the countries most prestigious firms. Now he enjoys a diverse practice- from litigation to Native Title and then International Extradition in between. Most weeks, Marc is able to structure his schedule so that he works 4 days a week and spends Tuesdays with his family. It might sound an easy step to take but as a Barrister building a successful life in that role, I think it is also as a courageous step.
Marc also gave many great tips on advocacy particularly on how to work with nerves, to prepare and to present. Marc’s calm and considered manner made for a wonderful conversation that is full of great advice on law, life and of course happiness.
- How if Marc was not a lawyer he would have been an engineer.
- Marc’s decision to study law and his time at University- including that wonderful theatre event- The Law Revue!
- What happens when you miss out on those prized Clerkships and how Marc’s first ‘break’ in law wasn’t necessarily what he had planned, but how it turned out to be a great ‘first step’ in the end.
- Marc’s observations of the contrast working between small and larger firms.
- A day in the life of a first year commercial litigator to now- a day in his life at the Bar.
- How and why Marc has structured his week to enjoy Tuesdays at home with his daughter.
- The importance of saying no.
- The question of ‘is it different for men’ when it comes to managing a career and family and Marc’s honest assessment that it is.
- The importance of finding value and connection in your work.
- Marc’s three top advocacy tips.
- Marc’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this great interview which is packed full of great insights into life in the law no matter your age or stage of career.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here