Episode 72 – Happiness through connection and friendship with Barrister Matt Taylor
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I was joined by Barrister Matt Taylor. Anyone who knows or has worked with Matt would I think agree with me on this- he is a talented, quiet achiever in the law but when it comes to his career I learned in this interview it has taken him many years to come to accept that he really is a ‘lawyer’ at heart.
Matt is a creative soul with a deep love of people and connection. I can also attest to his wonderful humour particularly after he took on the task last year of writing parts of the script for our Pantomime and even starring in the show as Molly Meldrum!
Matt discusses with me how he really felt for a long time that he wasn’t really a lawyer and it was the thing he was doing until he found the thing he was meant to do. Somewhere along the way though he has found his groove, realised that being a lawyer is a career that brings him great challenge and joy and has come to embrace that life in the law really does work for him.
Matt’s life in and out of the law has been heavily influenced by the deep connections he has built with those around him and it is a theme that has run through his life in and outside of the law. Matt made an interesting point that it is not our individuality that makes us special, but our ability to connect with each others over individual items or experiences. I think this statement just about sums up Matt’s career and his wonderful outlook on life.
This was a wonderful conversation and is a great interview for anyone who is trying to find ‘your place’ in the law. Matt shares many great insights on how he has built a career that brings him happiness, has enabled him to be a great Dad and Husband and build wonderful friendships along the way.
Matt and I also spoke about:
- Originally from Canada, Matt moved to Gympie with his family when he was two years old
- Growing up in Gympie and how Matt really enjoyed life in regional Qld
- His decision to study law but how Matt struggled after a move to Brisbane and his sense of disconnect at University
- Matt’s early career in law In both Gympie and Brisbane
- Moving to the UK with a two year old daughter
- Being married to a hard working woman
- Working in Child protection over in the UK and working in the difficult area of Child Protection for almost 9 years
- Matt’s decision to go to the Bar and why he loves this role in the Law
- Matt’s tips for life in and out of the law
- Matt’s happiness tip (it’s a great one!)
Sit back and relax as we enjoy this episode with Matt Taylor.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last weeks episode here