Episode 87 – Barrister Stephen Mackie on life in the law (with a side of theatre!)
This week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ had me talking theatre, dancing and lots of law in between with barrister, Stephen Mackie. Stephen has enjoyed a career primarily as an employment lawyer. He has been at the Bar for over 3 years now and shared with me his many experiences along the way.
Stephen and I share a love of the performing arts- my love tends to more involve watching than participating while Stephen has had an impressive career in the theatre ‘on the side’ of his successful law career. It is no secret that lately I have been talking a lot about the place of creativity in (and out of) the law. Stephen had much to say on this topic, and the important connection with our individual happiness.
Stephen is such a wonderful example of the different types of happiness we can find in our lives in and outside of the law. Currently he finds so much of this from his young family, but in the past it came from the theatre. It was so intriguing to see how this shift has happened for Stephen as his progressed through his career.
Stephen and I also spoke about:
- If Stephen has not gone into law he would have pursued his career as an Actor.
- Stephen’s early experience with the Queensland Theatre Company and the Queensland Shakespeare Ensemble (in which he is now on the board).
- The similarities and differences between lawyers and actors- who say ‘yes and’ vs who says ‘no and’!
- Stephen’s early life growing up in a small NSW town and later growing up in Rockhampton.
- His decision to study law- which he aptly called ‘mathematical linguistics’.
- We had a giggle at Steven’s first theatre acting experience!
- Stephen’s experience that when creativity is not pursued our happiness tends to wither.
- The issue of depression amongst the Legal community.
- Life as a Barrister and Stephen’s experience of the positive professional relationships at the bar.
- How Steven uses his experience in employment law to connect with people.
- We discussed how we all deal with conflict so differently, and the huge impact this can have on our lives.
- The human aspect is the driver of the legal issue.
- A day (or a month) in the life of Stephen.
- Happiness and what it means to Stephen as well as his advice to those who are in the law profession.
- Stephen’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this fun chat on all things theatre and law with Stephen Mackie
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here